Cedric Adams (February 25, 1953) is an African American artist, born in Gilmer, Texas best known for his graphite drawings. He attended Compton Community College and California State University at Long Beach. At the age of 15 Cedric came under the tutelage of his future mentor Mr. Wes Hall, at that time a member (and past president) of Art West Assoc. Inc.
Through Wes, Cedric was exposed to his mentor’s colleagues John Outterbridge, Dr. Raymond Lark and the legendary Charles White. Along with Wes, these artists had a profound influence on his own original and unique drawing style. Those formative years were tempered by his experiences of the Civil Rights, Black Power and Black Artist Movements. His art has been exhibited locally and across the United States.
- THE ART OF CEDRIC ADAMS
- P.O. Box 480106 Los Angeles, CA. 90048
- Compton Community College
- California State University Fullerton
- California State University Long Beach
- 2014- Museum of The African Diaspora, San Francisco, Ca.
- 2013- Altadena Community Arts Center, Altadena, Ca.
- 2011- Watts Towers Arts Center, Los Angeles, Ca.
- 2009- Ohio Historical Center, Columbus, Oh.
- 2006 – National Afro-American Museum, Wilberforce, Oh.
- 2004- Watts Towers Arts Center, Los Angeles, Ca.
- 2002- Dayton Art Institute, Dayton, Oh.
- FDG Gallery, Manhattan, N.Y.
- 2001- Hatch Gallery, Los Angeles, Ca.
- 2000- Springfield Museum of Art, Springfield, Oh.
- 1999- Angels Gate Cultural Center, San Pedro, Ca.
- Millard Sheets Art Gallery, Pomona, Ca.
- Mt. San Jacinto College, San Jacinto, Ca.
- 1998- John Wayne Airport, Irvine, Ca.
- 1996- Brea Municipal Art Gallery, Brea, Ca.
- 1995- California State University Los Angeles
- 1994-University of Southern California, Helen Lindhurst Gallery
- 1993-Dorothy Goldeen Art gallery, Santa Monica, Ca.
- Calif. State Univ. Fullerton
- Bakersfield College Art Gallery
- 1992- Santa Monica Museum of Art
- 1990- Georgia State University, Atlanta Georgia
- 1988-San Bernardino County Museum of Art. Redlands, Ca.
VIDEOS, MOTION PICTURES & DOCUMENTARIES:
- ‘Crown City News’- February 11, 2013- Cedric Adams (YouTube)
- ‘The Ruth Waddy Sketchbook’ , Jan. 31, 2011 (YouTube)
- The Art of Cedric Adams showcased in the film “To Sleep With Anger”, and the motion pictures “Lethal Weapon” and “Lethal Weapon 2”
- The Scott and Casey Talk Show: “Censorship of The Cedric Adams Drawing” a 1 hour broadcast on KFI-am 640 Radio station, aired March 2, 1997
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- National Afro American Museum and Cultural Center, Wilberforce, Oh.
- Watts Health Center, Los Angeles, Ca.
- Broadway Federal Savings and Loan, Los Angeles, Ca.
- Southern California Edison Company, Corporate Headquarters, Rosemead, Ca.
- Southern California Gas Company, Corporate Headquarters, Los Angeles, Ca.
- “The Power of Charles White”, online @ unframed.lacma.org
- “Exhibiting Blackness: African Americans and the American Art Museum”,
- Bridget R. Cooks, PhD / Univ. of Massachusetts Press
- “Unfold Magazine” 1999 vol.2, #4
- “Carib Press” , 2006 vol. 5, no.1, pp 12
- International Review of African American Art, vol. 15 no.1